Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Introducing: my new dahling

The 12 inch IBM X61!
You may look at it and think 'What's so special about it?'


well.....
tadah! Pink! Pretty pretty.






My white macbook was getting very slow and laggy after three years, so I finally got a new laptop. I couldn't stand the boring black cover though- I mean its like there are a million other black laptops. Hence I got it wrapped. Pretty.

It wasn't all smooth sailing at first though. I switched from Mac to PC because there might be some programs I might need in the future that only run on PC-- access, for instance. I wasn't exactly very happy about that, for I liked using the mac. And when I first switched, I thought Windows Vista was the stupidest operation system ever known to mankind.

It was so frustrating! At first I couldn't even find a way to get 'my computer' onto the desktop and had to ask my brother for help. After all, it was automatically there on my mac. And then what about the endless and annoying popups asking me to verify my password for every thing I download? ARGH! And why are the windows so weird? I was used to having multiple windows that don't automatically occupy the whole screen, sort of like this:

see how the multiple windows overlap each other? Then I could switch between multiple windows without going to the taskbar, just by clicking the edge of the other window. And I could automatically have two different word documents side by side, with another hidden behind,which I could easily switch between.

I have another peeve (sorry, this is turning into a rant). Windows automatically hides file extensions. I wanted to change the file extension from .divx to .vlc, and imagine my irritation when the extension just refused to show up. A bit of googling, and it was rather easy changing the view settings on my computer. But. Still.

It is not all bad though. It turned out to be not so bad once I got used to it. But in the future, if I need Windows at my workplace, I'm going to get a Mac as a personal computer.

My opinion: Get a Mac if you don't have to get a windows. Really.

No comments: