Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Music and the UK

Ok, here comes some of my thoughts while in the UK
Music and the UK
It’s the first time I understand the loveliness of music. I realized it at Bath, where this combination of music and wonderful architecture combined to create an absolutely marvelous atmosphere. A group of musicians were playing against the open air and the Roman Baths.A feeling of bliss envelops one, and I realize I can never completely escape. Once you have known the first taste of it, theres no going back. Like first experiencing harmonizing in a choir or ensemble, I understood how the music could spring naturally, and so wonderfully. It was live music, music alive.
Music that fits the setting.
Or the hills and moors or Windermere Lake in the Lake District. I can finally understand the evocativeness of the music. It’s the first time a place makes me think immediately of a piece by any composer, or I can visualize the place immediately when thinking of a place. The hills and moors make me think of Schubert or perhaps Mozart, gently rolling on and a wonderful expanse of green. I tried listening to Rimsky-Korsakov and his music did not fit the scene at all. The Russian school tends to evocate images of towering gates and buildings, a sense of tragedy and sorrow that’s not evident in the green fields and lovely cottages of the English countryside. Photos fail to do the view justice.

No comments: